Whiplash Treatment Experts
This information is being brought to you as a public service by
Dr. Craig A. Andresen of Andresen Active Healthcare
Automobile Injury Information Sheet
If you, a friend, or loved one has been involved in an automobile accident, here is what you should know….
1. Even a minor accident can cause injury. Never assume that you are not injured just because there is little or no damage to your car. Avoid long term latent effects and protect yourself with an examination immediately. Call us at 847.888.3383.
2. If a paramedic suggests you go to the emergency room, do not decline. You may be suffering from shock, and will be unable to properly judge the situation. Even the smallest fracture in your spine can be very serious!
3. Muscle aches, soreness, headaches and other symptoms associated with whiplash injuries may not show up until 24-72 hours after the accident. The sooner you seek treatment, the less likely it will be that you will have severe pain or permanent damage.
4. Studies show that ICE applied immediately to the injured area will help keep swelling and pain to a minimum.
5. Make sure you exchange information at the scene of the accident. Obtain an accident report from the police as soon as possible.
6. Report the accident to your auto carrier immediately. This will enable them to initiate a claim and get your repairs and medical bills paid in a timely manner.
7. If the accident was not your fault, report it to your carrier even if you plan to use the responsible person’s insurance. Your carrier CANNOT increase your premiums if the accident was not your fault. And the other party may not have adequate insurance to meet your needs.
8. Do not let insurance companies bully you! You may be “encouraged” by an insurance adjuster to settle your claim as quickly as possible. Do not settle any claim until you are sure your medical needs have been met and all repairs have been made. If you have problems with an insurance company, or feel your case is not being handled properly, seek the advice of a reputable personal injury attorney. Normally, you will not have any out of pocket expenses and most attorneys will wait until the claim is settled for payment.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT AUTO ACCIDENTS, WORK RELATED INJURIES OR OTHER HEALTH RELATED PROBLEMS, PLEASE CALL US AT 847.888.3383. WE WILL BE HAPPY TO ASSIST YOU IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE.